Wednesday, December 22, 2021

"In Galilee a Virgin"

 

In Galilee, a Virgin

(Luke 1:26)

 

With the whisper

                                 came the fire

sounding into a hum that caught me

breathing slowly

                                I knew    from somewhere

to be still    but blistering heat

shifted my breath

                                   choking me

 

Near the edge   I heard

one word   then another

                                              and then

I was light enough to leave my bench

my hands sought the source

                                                     my eyes

blinked and teared

                                    then one word

then another

                             The fire pulsed   the

whisper floated

a circle

                  my hand

trembling  beneath my  heart

                                                      and from

where   or how    I still do not

know   there was only

                                          the fire

 

And my  yes  stilled the air

 

What will

                    his eyes see

when I place his hand here

                                                   where

the fire lingers  still

                                    what will

my throat release into 

the world  suddenly and forever split apart

 

Is any   yes   enough

                                      to shear

away the doubt   the searching

is over

 

I am now made

whole

             when I can hold what

this fire has claimed

                                      I will

sing  softly   every  yes   I

ever dreamed

                            to give

 

 -- Luke

20 December 2021

10 comments:

  1. Fr. Brown,
    Thank you for sharing!
    Wishing you a blessed Christmas!
    In a spare moment go to descendants.org and click "Blog" for a Thanksgiving Message.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In this time of the pandemic the "searching" has been variously a distraction, a barrier, or worse. There is a "yes" in me struggling to be manifest. Thanks for your help to set it free.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fr. Broen,
    Thank you for allowing God to use you. I needed this message. As always, you rock! See you soon...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved "is any yes enough to shear away the doubt"...thanks for the insightful poem. Rich

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This poem is one of empathy and sensitivity. I could feel the emotion culminating in expectation and fervor. Thank you for this. Time is no barrier for the workings of the Lord.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Divine fire swirling through, breaking up everyday reality, leaving only one choice: yes or no? I'm so glad she said yes. I'm so glad to envision this moment of cosmic change in this powerful new way.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sadly, I missed this earlier; however, I get to enjoy it now! This is a magnificent uplifting treasure, a message of hope in an uncertain world.

    ReplyDelete